Re: Octave GUI for RedHat

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave GUI for RedHat
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:17:44 -0800

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 18:37:15 +0000, Moore, Rob wrote:
> I am at a US DOE National Lab and this is the only version of RH
> available to me.  Are there issues installing older version of Octave
> on this RH version?  I understand that the GUI was introduced in
> Octave 3.8 but I currently have version 3.4, installed through the Red
> Hat package manager.  Does anyone know what versions of Octave work on
> RH6xx without issues?  Updating gcc is easy enough, but I suspect
> there are other dependencies that make it difficult with RH6xx.

Hi Rob, I can sympathize, I am very familiar with those kinds of
constraints.

I think that Octave 4.4 was the first version to strictly require C++11,
meaning GCC 4.8 or newer. It's pretty easy to install a newer version of
GCC on RHEL 6 and use that to build Octave. Or you can try Octave 4.2.2.

Since you specifically want Octave's GUI, the problem with newer
versions of Octave may increasingly become a dependency on newer verions
of Qt than are provided by RHEL 6. I know that Octave 5 needs Qt 4.8 or
newer, I can't remember what versions of Qt are supported by older
versions.

--
mike