Re: Build a portable linux binary?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Build a portable linux binary?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:30:59 -0500

On 2/19/19 10:50 AM, CROZIER Richard wrote:

Portable binaries on Linux are a real PITA, hence the existence of the
project you link to, Holy Build Box (linked above), Snap packages,
Flatpak, Appimage, Launchpad Ubuntu PPAs, MXE Octave, etc. etc. It's a
nightmare really if you just want something easy for users who don't
know how to compile stuff to install, without waiting 3 years for it to
appear in the package repositories.

Also, the point of mxe-octave was initially to build Octave for Windows. Using it to build for Linux systems was something that happened later, and only because I needed a way to build Octave and all dependencies on systems like RHEL 5 that didn't have compilers that were new enough to build Octave and that also lacked the necessary dependencies as packages. If those were my systems, I'd upgrade them to a newer version of the OS and install all the necessary dependencies from the distribution. It's extremely frustrating to me that people insist on sticking with obsolete versions (5-6 years old) of the OS but want to run the latest versions of applications on them. This makes little sense to me but it seems to be fairly common.