Re: Build a portable linux binary?

From: roland65
Subject: Re: Build a portable linux binary?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 02:10:36 -0600 (CST)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> If you or someone else is interested in doing the work, it can certainly
> be done. I don't think the Octave maintainers are interested in doing
> the work when there are already plenty of ways to easily install Octave
> on GNU/Linux systems.

Yes of course, there are different ways and using the package manager of the
Linux distribution is the most common of these.

However this method has drawbacks. For example, I use Ubuntu 18.04 (long
term stable version) and Octave version is only 4.2.2. So, to get the last
Octave 4.4.1 and apply some recent patches I need, I had to compile Octave
and a lot of its packages and build deb packages for Ubuntu 18.04. This was
a lot of work, but it finally worked...

Now, some colleagues and friends who use another Linux distro, wanted to use
my work and they simply couldn't. They have to do the same work of building
these many Octave packages for their particular distribution. Most of them
found it was too complicated and they gave up...

So, I think it would make sense to have a way to distribute a portable
binary package that could be run on many Linux distributions...

Anyway, thanks to all for your advices. I'll try to investigate the proposed
solutions and if I obtain some interesting results, I'll let you know...