Re: run BISTs for all installed packages

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: run BISTs for all installed packages
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 16:18:19 -0800

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 10:59:01 -0500, Andrew Janke wrote:
> I've put together a list of references to bugs and Octave maintainers
> mailing list threads related to enhancing the test suite:
> https://github.com/apjanke/octave-testify/blob/e6e9cd4117c6d6e601a8c00487dc75769aa1699f/doc-project/Developer-Notes.md
>
> Any major ones I'm missing?

Looks good, thank you for collecting all of these topics together.

I agree with your project goals. I also hope you'll preserve some of the
current test suite features I think are important, including being able
to run the test suite pre-install or post-install, read-only, optionally
print full test failures in auto build or CI environments.

If I have my own list of annoyances / wishlist things I'd like to see
improved, would you rather see them reported on savannah or on your
project?

Are you aware of the 'doctest' package [1] to run tests from Octave help
strings? I think it's mostly orthogonal to your goals, just wanted to
make sure you knew it was out there.

I also maintain a separate shell-based test suite [2] to test Octave's
command interface, command line options, exit status, and so on, also
unrelated to your project goals.

But at some point I'd like to see these two supported by Octave to some
extent.

[1]: https://github.com/catch22/octave-doctest
[2]: https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-test-suite

--