Re: New Command Window widget as GSoC project?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: New Command Window widget as GSoC project?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:23:37 -0700

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 15:53:47 -0400, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 3/12/19 10:28 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> > It was mentioned some time in the past that the Command Window in the GUI
> > is probably going to be replaced with a cross-platform Qt widget.
> > To be honest, I don't know what this would involve precisely and how large
> > of a project that would be. But could that be a suitable project for a GSoC
> > student?
>
> Is there an existing cross-platform Qt widget(s) that's a candidate for
> adopting here? Or would this be a proposal to write a new Qt
> console/terminal widget that Octave can use?

As I understand it, the idea was proposed years ago to make the command
window *not* be a true terminal emulator, instead develop a brand new
command window widget that is more like an interactive text area. So all
prompting, input, and output would be done with Qt.

This might make it easier to do things like move the cursor back through
the buffer, insert hyperlinks into error messages and doc strings, and
have a common implementation on all operating systems.

--
mike