Re: Standard example datasets

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: Standard example datasets
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 12:00:32 +0100

I have in the past had responsibility for computer-related material. And, I
know people who are expert in this field. The short answer to any question
about rights is that no one knows.  No one even agrees what laws apply to
computer codes or data. And, there is no known case, as far as I know, of
successful prosecutions even in the Java case. The Archive.org has received
demands that material be removed "immediately" but,... One fact is that if
no monetary gain is involved the case for prosecution is harder to make.
It is hard to argue that making data available that is already freely available
from other sources could be illegal (i.e. using R examples, which I also think
would be a good plan, should be acceptable). It might make sense to ask the
R folks if this is OK with them.

Even organizations which are clearly for profit put online, but charge for,
materials, including data, over which they have no copyright.
Wiley is a prominent example of this.