Re: Objects: contributing the dynamicprops and hgsetget classes

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Objects: contributing the dynamicprops and hgsetget classes
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 16:00:35 +0100

Am 30. Oktober 2019 um 15:06 Uhr schrieb "FARHI Emmanuel":
> Hello,
> I've written two superclasses for Octave, that emulate the
>
> dynamicprops (add new properties to classes)
> hgsetget (allow to use set/get on classes)
> as found in Matlab. My classes are not made Abstract, but this could be done,
> to avoid direct instantiation.
> The repositories are on Github:
>
> https://github.com/farhi/octave-dynamicprops
> https://github.com/farhi/octave-hgsetget
> I'd be happy to see them in Octave, to improve the compatibility on class
> definitions. The hgsetget has been renamed as the matlab.mixin.SetGet class
> since Matlab 2013, but the hgsetget name is still supported to date.

Thank you for showing your willingness to contribute to Octave.

I haven't tested your classes. But cross-reading the code, the implementation
looks promising.
Some initial feedback: Please, read [1] and adapt to the Octave style guide.
Also adding some BISTs, demos and a texinfo style documentation would help.
Maybe have a look at containers.Map [2] as some kind of a template.
Ideally, open a new report on the patch tracker [3] and provide a patch to
Octave's development sources.
You are always welcome to ask for more details or feedback here on the mailing
list or on the patch tracker.

There are only a few maintainers, so it might take some time until someone will
be able to review. But it will definitely make it more likely that someone
picks up your contribution if you follow those guidelines.

Markus

[1]: https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_style_guide
[2]:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/scripts/%2Bcontainers/Map.m