Re: eliminating or reducing use of "mutable" keyword?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: eliminating or reducing use of "mutable" keyword?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 17:20:30 -0500

On 11/18/19 3:03 PM, Rik wrote:
jwe,

I saw your recent changeset

changeset:   27709:0a84a7d0998d
user:        John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
date:        Mon Nov 18 11:57:51 2019 -0500
summary:     don't declare figure::properties::toolkit as mutable

which removes an instance of the mutable keyword.

Should we make this a Task on Savannah?  The use of mutable seems very
occasionally necessary, but also very often a hack where it might be better
to re-think the code.

I used grep and found 53 instances of the word in libinterp/ and 8 in
liboctave/.  The ones in libinterp are clustered in the MeX interface which
probably isn't worth scrubbing.

Yes, I think we should aim to remove all uses of mutable if possible. In cases where it seems like it can't be removed, it would probably be worth documenting and justifying why it is really needed.