Re: octave help links from google

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: octave help links from google
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 10:54:33 -0500 (CDT)

nrjank wrote
> Am I the only one who notices that the default google search for octave
> help docs almost always point you to the v4.2.1 docs, versus the latest
> version?
> e.g., searching for "octave formatted output" gets you:
>
> Formatted Output - GNU Octave
>
> which links to
> https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.1/Formatted-Output.html

FWIW, both Qwant and DuckDuckGo get it right, the first link is

  Formatted Output (GNU Octave (version 5.2.0))
  octave.org/doc/interpreter/Formatted-Output.html

whereas using Google I obtain

  Formatted Output - GNU Octave
  https://octave.org/doc/v4.0.1/Formatted-Output.html

Note that I don't get the same (outdated) result as you in Google. This is
probably an effect of our past search (see e.g. [1, 2]).

Pantxo

[1] "Your search history can really give you a false sense of your websites
ranking, because it pushes your most visited websites to the top" :
https://microarts.com/insights/why-googles-search-results-vary-from-person-to-person/
[2]
https://www.webpresencesolutions.net/7-reasons-google-search-results-vary-dramatically/

--