Re: How to install the package syms into GNU Octave, ver. 5.2.0?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: How to install the package syms into GNU Octave, ver. 5.2.0?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:00:30 -0400

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:27 AM Dalibor MARTIŠEK <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear colleagues,

I would like to install the package syms into Octave. I have downloaded
and unpacked symbolic-2.9.0.tar.gz in d:\installs\Octave\. Command

pkg install -forge d:\installs\Octave\symbolic-2.9.0\inst\syms.m

the -forge option is telling Octave to reach out to the repository, download and install the package using it's common name.

so that would look like:

>> pkg install -forge symbolic

for a local install, you do not want to unpack the archive. the installer will do that. generally recommend running the command from the same folder as the file:

>> pkg install symbolic-2.9.0.tar.gz

FINALLY,

the symbolic package relies on having Python and Sympy installed on your system.  If you don't have those, the maintainer makes a windows bundle that is probably easier to use. it can be downloaded with instructions from:

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation