Re: refactoring function handle implementation for version 6

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: refactoring function handle implementation for version 6
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 22:45:07 -0400

On 6/11/20 6:37 PM, Rik wrote:

I'd vote yes for having vectorize and genvarname produce warnings.

I'm ambivalent about inline().  I just tried "f = inline ('x + 1')" with
Matlab 2020a and it succeeds with no warning.  On the other hand, inline()
is really, really old and it is trivial to update code to use function
handles instead.  And, if people really have old legacy code that they
don't want to re-write they can slap

warning ("off", "Octave:legacy-function")

in their .octaverc and never hear another complaint.

I pushed the following changeset to add warnings for vectorize, genvarname, and the inline constructor:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef8cf8dda0ba