Re: New package repo request - raspi

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: New package repo request - raspi
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:53:40 +0900

On 11/30/20 9:49 PM, JohnD wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Kai Torben Ohlhus [mailto:k.ohlhus@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 1:03 AM
To: JohnD
Cc: octave-maintainers@gnu.org

On 11/28/20 11:22 PM, JohnD wrote:
I have a new package I am working on for a raspberrypi toolkit for octave,
similar in functions to the raspberry pi toolkit for matlab [1].

Most of the basic functions are now in a working state (basic io, servos,
serial, i2c, serial, linux) using pigpio [2] and a couple of supplement
scripts installed on the raspberry pi.

So,  can I get a hg repo added on Octave forge to push the code to -
something like 'raspi' or 'raspberrypi' or 'raspberrypiio' in order to
prepare for an initial release ?

John D

Your raspberrypi toolkit looks great, thanks for considering to share it
with other Octave users =)

I am involved as Octave Forge admin, but I can only devote time to
maintain existing packages there.  Currently there are no plans to
extend the Octave Forge project.

The "Package Extensions Index" [3] is the public collection of Octave
packages, that contains all Octave Forge packages and some more.  It
offers an easy way to get your new package listed there today [4].

If you want to opt-in for inclusion of your package into the MS Windows
installer, for example, this is independent of being an Octave Forge
package and has to be negotiated with the MXE-Octave (MS Windows
installer) team.

Looking forward for your new package,

Kai

Ok - so there are no plans on hosting new packages in the Octave forge in the
mercurial repos, or releasing packages there ?

To my knowledge not. Recently, there was a discussion on Discourse [5] and the wiki [6], which you might know about.

Until September Olaf was the last-admin-standing, as all other Octave Forge admins one-by-one could no longer devote time to the project. The sad truth is, the Octave Forge project looks still pretty nice, but maintaining it, releasing/checking a single package, not to say adding a new package, is "stupid unpaid" work with little automation on the admin side.

My sole devotion as Octave Forge admin since October is trying to avoid that the last few active nice packages (I use) give up. Releasing existing packages, thus some development still happens there.

If you like Octave Forge, you are of course any time warmly welcomed to become admin as well and revitalize the project as you think it is best =) And you can add your package yourself, as you please. If nobody is willing to work on Octave Forge, the Octave Package Extension Index [3] or some other "pkg"-compatible mechanism must take over.

Kai

[1] https://www.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/raspberrypiio/index.html
[2] http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/
[3] https://gnu-octave.github.io/pkg-index/