Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave and Jupyter notebook Integration
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:45:38 +0000

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 10:38:20 AM WET Marius Schamschula wrote:
> There already is such a thing: An Octave kernel for Jupyter [1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel

IIRC there was a discussion in this list a year ago.
The main point is that the kernel has some limitations since it uses the
generic metakernel framework and thus it has some limitations that could be
solved with a more integrated kernel. That was acknowledge by the Calysto
developers.

One of the issues that I remember was, for example, the possibility of having
pretty printing. I remember in particular the tablicious package. It would be
nice to have a pretty table representation instead of the ascii one.

We can see that for example with the equivalent pandas tables in python. When
you return as pandas object (the equivalent of a table in octave) we get a
nice representation.

So even if a jupyter kernel exists a better integration would be nice.

Best regards,
--
José Matos