Re: 64-bit indexing version of Octave release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: 64-bit indexing version of Octave release
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:18:05 +0900

On 10/18/21 4:21 PM, Dyer, Norman Jay wrote:
Dear Kai,

A belated but warm thank you for your work to create an Octave-w64-64 in a Container.

For those Linux machines with Singularity installed, your Octave installation only required 2 easy commands:

singularity pull docker://gnuoctave/octave:6.3.0

singularity run octave_6.3.0.sif

Everything complete!

A HUGE improvement over the earlier alternative script exercises ! !

I encourage you to post on the webpage: gnu.org/software/octave/download

**

§GNU/Linux

Packaged versions of Octave for GNU/Linux systems are provided by the individual distributions described in the Octave wiki. These packages are created by volunteers. The delay between an Octave source release and the availability of a package for a particular GNU/Linux distribution varies.

Alternatively, there is a growing use of Containers which bypass the many flavors of Linux and deal directly with the Linux core. This requires prior installation of Singularity.

  * Octave 6.3.0-w64-64 (large data indexing) :

singularity pull docker://gnuoctave/octave:6.3.0-w64-64

singularity run octave_6.3.0-w64-64.sif

See https://sylabs.io/guides/3.7/user-guide/quick_start.html <https://sylabs.io/guides/3.7/user-guide/quick_start.html> for info on Singularity.

**

Given Torvalds’ complaints about 'too damn many individual distributions’, is not this the wave of the future? (to containerize all Linux apps, and only that)

In which case, we would see a switch to:

**

§GNU/Linux

Install Singularity so as to allow download of one of these Containers to the Linux core.

  * octave-6.3.0-w32 (old machines)

  * octave-6.3.0-w64 (most machines)

  * octave-6.3.0-w64-64 (big data machines)

**

... and there would be no delay waiting for the various distribution volunteers.

kind regards,

Norm

P.S. I was distracted from responding to you on Sep12 when octave was installed because I immediately hit more memory limitation problems. Even with 128 gb RAM. There were JAVA memory allocations on top of Fedora memory allocations – still not satisfactorily set up for my purposes. Sorry for my delay in contacting you. My bad.

Dear Norm,

Thanks for the warm words =) However, like Flatpak, Snap, etc. my approach has limitations and might not be for every Linux Octave user the most preferable choice either.

For example, using Docker/Podman/Singularity offers no automatic update and the Desktop integration with Flatpak and Snap seems "smoother" in some cases. Furthermore, the memory footprint is smaller.

However, users with "big" machines, needing proper 64-bit bundled libraries will be happier, like you and me =) In my impression the information how to get the Docker/Podman/Singularity images is also not too deep hidden in the official website?

  https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download#linux

"Alternatively, there are some distribution independent installation methods for more recent versions of GNU Octave described in the Octave wiki."

  https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_GNU/Linux#Distribution_independent

An exclusive advertisement for Singularity seems at the moment not necessary.

Enjoy using Octave and please discuss with me on https://octave.discourse.group/ .

Best wishes,
Kai