pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Patch to restore "Followup and Reply" and "Go/Top of Thr

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Patch to restore "Followup and Reply" and "Go/Top of Thread"
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:24:44 -0700

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:26:31AM +0200, Torstein Sunde wrote:

> I agree that watch/ignore subthread would substitute that filter in
> most cases, but in some cases a _part_ of the message-ID can identify
> an individual using different identities.

That's a good point.

> BTW, you didn't comment on the "ALL OF"/"ANY OF" option.

I like that part.

> Anyway, maybe it would be better to make a scoring dialogue based on
> "Custom Filter -> Edit Filter", since nested scoring rules could then
> be created through the GUI?

Yes, but the Edit Filter GUI is not very good either. :)
Evolution's filter GUI is much better, and I'd like to see Pan's filters
look like that.  However, I don't think Evolution supports nested filters
(does it, fejj?) so it'll need to be adapted for Pan somehow.

Handling scores in this way would allow us to edit existing score
entries in Pan without punting the user to the scorefile via a text
editor too.

> SCREEN_SIZE_ABOVE_SVGA was not intended for distributed packages, but
> for those who build their private binaries, and for visualising where
> spacing had been removed.  When using the patch without setting that
> flag, the dialogue actually use fewer rows than the original code,
> but I was uncertain if that would be aesthetically acceptable.

Using the Evolution approach would fix this problem too IMO, since
it only uses one row per criteria that the user selects.

> > [...]
> > (4) Your new strings will not be translated because they're not in
> > CVS.
>
> I see a good point there.  However, I just tried starting 0.15.0.95
> with my first message-ID patch under my own language (LANGUAGE=no;
> otherwise I use en_GB), and noticed that Message-ID in the scoring
> dialogue had actually been translated (pure luck, of course), while
> most of the options under the "Post" menu were in English, probably
> because of the triple dots ("Reply by Email...") that were added in
> 0.14.0.94.

Right.  I sent Tov mail on Friday (or Saturday?) announcing the
string freeze, but he hasn't gotten the translation in yet.

> > [...]
> > * I'll put up on rebelbase.com any patch-free RPMs you submit for
> > 0.14.1 and beyond.
>
> OK, I'll make a patch-free 0.14.1 RPM, but I'll probably stop
> submitting RPMs for the betas.  Mandrake 9.2 is expected within a
> month or so, and perhaps I end up ditching Mandrake 8.2 to 9.1
> altogether before Pan 0.14.2 is out anyway.

*nod*

> I assume that trivial bugfixes that might arrive before building an
> RPM, like bug 119969, aren't a problem?

119969 isn't a problem.

--
cheers,