pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Patch to restore "Followup and Reply" and "Go/Top of Thr

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Patch to restore "Followup and Reply" and "Go/Top of Thread"
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:25:54 -0700

On Tue 19 Aug 2003 10:24, Charles Kerr posted as excerpted below:
> > OK, I'll make a patch-free 0.14.1 RPM, but I'll probably stop
> > submitting RPMs for the betas.  Mandrake 9.2 is expected within a
> > month or so, and perhaps I end up ditching Mandrake 8.2 to 9.1
> > altogether before Pan 0.14.2 is out anyway.
>
> *nod*

FWIW..  I'm not really sure RPMs are that good a thing anyway for the betas..
Philosophically speaking, betas are perhaps better left to those that have
the motivation to build from tarball anyway, distrib betas such as Cooker
excepted, of course.

OTOH.. it IS a trade-off between getting newbies that aren't equipped to
handle beta problems and create semi-decent feedback, if they even know the
significance of a beta in the first place, and losing perhaps that one bug
report that might make the difference on X% of installations for a stable
version.

Still, it DOES make for a conceptually smoother transition between stable
builds, with binary packages available, beta builds, nicely wrapped up in
tarball at least (for *ix anyway, naturally beta on MSWormOS still needs
binaries due to the crippled nature of the platform, user-development and
ordinary source availability-wise), and raw CVS.  IMO, that's about the best
match for the various levels of expertise one might be expected to have that
is possible.

Of course, the packager of the nitely CVS snapshot debs obviously disagrees,
at least to some extent,  but ...  <g>

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin