pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan core-dumping under Linux Mint

From: Dominique Dumont
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan core-dumping under Linux Mint
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 16:56:57 +0200

On Thursday, 5 May 2022 14:47:34 CEST Brian wrote:
> I run 64-bit Linux Mint 20.3 (LTS version) with an XFCE desktop. When
> I install Pan from the Mint/Ubuntu repositories, it appears to install
> successfully, but running from the desktop results in a immediate
> crash with no input.
>
> So, I tried running from a terminal. This also crashed immediately,
> unsurprisingly, but it did get me the following output

Pan 0.146 has some bugs related to unicode characters. I suggest you stick to
English only groups.

> <paste>
>
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files
>
> (pan:172437): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:23:51.653: Unable to parse
> accelerator '<constrol>O' for action 'import-tasks'
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
>    what():  basic_string::_M_construct null not valid

These warnings are unrelated to the crash.

> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> </paste>
>
> I tried the version from Github, but there are just too many version
> mismatches when building the program for me to cope with.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> Can anybody suggest a way of fixing the above problem. I don't use NZB
> files, I'm just trying to read some plain old text newsgroups.

You should discuss with people knowing Mint to find a way to compile a more
recent version of Pan.

Or you should upgrade to a more recent version of Mint. On Ubuntu side, you
need 22.04 to get pan 0.149.

HTH