[Paparazzi-devel] (no subject)

From: nisma
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:01:33 +0200 (MEST)

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just thought I would give you an update on my UAV project: I am
> designing a Ground-station application at the moment, until I get my
> budgeting sorted out, and also things are really busy in the rest of my
> life at the moment, so I don't have time to do hardware stuff.
>
> The ground station is being written in QT/Free, from www.trolltech.com.
> This allows it to be multi-platform and run on Mac OS X (my operating
> system of choice) as well as linux/unix (or with a license, on M$
> Windows... ).
> I would have built on top of an existing ground station, like the
> paparazzi one, but its inconvenient to use GTK and X11 on Mac OS,
> whereas QT runs natively (without an X server etc, straight on to the
> Mac OS X Aqua engine). I don't particularly like Java GUIs but that was
> the other main possibility.
> I am just learning C++ and QT at the moment, but I hope to have a beta
> suitable for consumption in a month or two. I have got to the point
> where the GUI is laid out (in QT Designer), and most of the 'glue' code
> to run the GUI is working (sortof :), and I am writing the 'back end',
> down links etc.
> Any ideas/suggestions/requests?
>
> At some point, I also want to build a link to JSBsim or FlightGear into
> it, for flight visualization when its in the air, and as a hardware in
> the loop simulator, when its on the ground. I am a little worried about
> how well JSBsim will handle simulating such a small plane, an low
> speeds and low reynolds numbers, and also how i will create and
> calibrate a flight model for it. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers, Hugo.

Why you don't use openGC if you have plans to integrate FlightGear.
Using digitalized live pictures from uav inside FlightGear is fantastic.
I have programmed some extra gauges in order to fullfill my requirements
(battery status ....). It rocks.
I have the control station operational for motorized (gaz) delta flyer.
The full integration of the model plane in FlightGear was very easy (30
minutes)
I needed two full days for the control station, including the configurable
autopilot.

The autonomy is only 15 minutes.
The flyer is a heavy modified version of this:
http://www.epp-fun.de/frame.htm?/f4y-sipkill.htm

I use it to test some algorithms using the laptop as autopilot.
I have a bidirectional datalink and for emergency, the model have two
parachute (to save the electronic), one (with holes) to slow the speed.
The electronic stay in a rectangular box above the wings in the middle.
I have designed the first version of sensors/MCU for the final prototype
that are in flight ISP capable. I have shipped the files today to the PBC
manufacture.

If you are at the point to integrate FlightGear, simple ask for help.

Best wishes.
Chris