Re: [Paparazzi-devel] HW

From: antoine . drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] HW
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:51:05 +0200

Hi

Quoting address@hidden:

> The proto PBC works.
> The final design uses one 33 MIPS 186 CPU with USB host interfaces . and
> other interfaces incl. support for WIFI and multimedia card (MMC).
> If higher processing demand is required,  the PCU can be interfaced with
> a gumstix CPU using the 13MB NSSP  interface (400 MH Xscale CPU with 64M
> ram).

That looks nice. Can you give details about the cpu ? Which development
environment is supported ? I understand the RF-datalink is managed by the
8bits MCUs ?

> The servo controller and the RC receiver/modem interface are implemented
> using microchip PIC MCU's.

I really regret that there is no gcc support for these... Why do you prefer them
over atmel MCUs ?

> This two cpu's can bypass the primary one.

What you mean bypass ? can you give details ? The way we are doing is described
in these diagrams :
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/paparazzi/paparazzi2/doc/user_manual/

We have one mega8 MCU (fly by wire) responsible for rc decoding and servos
driving. It provides mixing and response curves for rc transmitter and servos.
Its ADCs are used for "health measurements" (like battery voltage) which can
trigger low level actions (cut motor if battery low).
This MCU alone is able to provide manual/automatic switching, manual control
and failsafe.
The code is small and frozen. This is the critical part of the system.

The second MCU (autopilot) takes care of data acquisition/filtering, control,
navigation, and communications (downlink only for now).

> What type of HW interfaces you need. Please give part number if possible.
> Example are specialized SMD connectors for the GPS unit.

We use a SAM-LS GPS module. The connector is a flat ribbon 20 pins 0.5mm pitch.
It is really fragile and we don't want these connector on our controller board.
We build a small adapter board with the flat connector that we attach to the
module. We use Molex 1.25mm pitch connector from there.

HTH

Antoine