[Paparazzi-devel] Java UAV controllerboard specifications

From: Steven Beeckman
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Java UAV controllerboard specifications
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:23:40 +0200

Hi all,

I'm playing with the idea to build an (almost) autonomous UAV with the
same instruments as the Paparazi-project (GPS and infrared thermometer,
servos and one electromotor. I want to write the software in Java
(because it's the only language I can code in) so a controllerboard with
Java as its native language is required. I've searched the net and found
things like Javelin (http://www.parallax.com/javelin/index.asp), Snap
(http://www.imsys.se/index.htm) , JStamp and JStik
(http://www.systronix.com/). The problem is that I don't have any idea
what's required for I/O. How do you guys interface with your
electromotors? Does it happen through digital I/O or analog I/O? The
same question for the thermometer. GPS is probably through a serial
interface. I'm also curious about what data the GPS provides, and with
which precision (1 meter?).
So what things should my controllerboard certainly have as interfaces
for the servos, electromotor, GPS, infrared thermometer, RF transmitter?
Are there any other things I should focus on while selecting the hardware?

As you see, a lot of questions for this newbie :-).

Thanks in advance,

Steven