[Paparazzi-devel] Airspeed, and Altimeter Sensors

From: Steve Turner
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Airspeed, and Altimeter Sensors
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:28:06 -0400

Hi David,

> for PCBs from advanced circuits, you can use the $33 special for
prototypes.  I have used
> that in the past and am very pleased with the results.
https://www.4pcb.com/!33each1.asp

These guys do look like they know what they are doing. The $33 does
not look as bad, but with a minimum quantity of 3 it is still $100.
Not too bad, but eurocircuits still looks cheaper. Even after paying
the shipping.

> Something different...  I am starting on a project simialar to the
altimeter you have
> listed on your web page.  I was wondering how that turned out, if
you have used it and if
> you have any hits beyond what is on teh web page?  Same for the
airspeed indicator.

I did play around with my altimeter, and airspeed sensors for a while.
They work ok, but could be better. Actually I am rather happy with how
the airspeed sensor turned out. It seemed to work pretty good, and had
a decent resolution.
The altimeter could have been done much better however. I did not
account for non-standard atmosphic conditions like the real airplanes.
This made things simpler, but the altitude was not always accurate. I
also could have done better at limiting circuit noise. With the sensor
I used, a very small voltage variation represented a fair amount of
altitude. This makes things a little tricky, and my altitude tended to
move around a bit. I should have also used something more than a 10
bit ADC, a good clean op amp, and very good voltage references. That
was the hardest part for me, trying to clean up the signals. I kind of
gave up on the PIC's because of their frustrating lack of easy math
capabilities. It's been a while since I have updated the site with
info.

Steve Turner
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.steveonweb.com