Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Wireless communications

From: antoine . drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Wireless communications
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:25:06 +0200

Hi Filipe

Our cheapo solution consists in using a 2.4GHz video transmitter and transmiting
data in the audio channel. Onboard we use a CMX469 4800bps FSK modem. On ground
we feed the audio output of the receiver in the soundcard line input of the
laptop and demodulate with a programm called "multimon" that was adpated by
Martin.
This solution has a couple of advantages : it's cheap, very robust and you get
video/telemetry synchro for free if you record the sound along with the video.
But it is only unidirectionnal.

To achieve bidirectionnal datalink, we are evaluating some coronis "wavecard"
868MHz radio modem (http://www.coronis-systems.com/produit.php?id=WCA&lang=en
).
Theses devices are a little more than radio modems as they provide some neat
network functions that will allow aircrafts to talk to each other and even
relay frames.
On the desktop they work very well. We haven't tested them in the air yet due to
a problem of interferences with the 41MHz we use for safety radiocontrol. We're
working on it. The expected throughput of these device is maximum 19200bps - no
good for video.

A+

Antoine

ps: I felt inspired by this page ( http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher/bga/ ) and
managed to solder some adxrs using a clothes iron and a hot air iron. I
have soldered a couple since and the method appears to work well.

http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi/images/bga_solder_station.jpg
http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi/images/adxrs.jpg
http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi/images/adxrs_2.jpg
http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi/images/gorazoptere.jpg