[Paparazzi-devel] Groundstation development

From: Filipe Varela
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Groundstation development
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:29:54 +0100

Hey all

After the wireless question comes the software question. I'm wrapping up my mission planning code (mac os x, cocoa). It's quite powerful (visual editing, drag'n drop waypoints, double click to set attributes - altitude, flight script, etc - can i post screenshots in this list as attachments?) but i was wondering what would be the best way to implement it.

The beauty of cocoa is that you can design the object (mission planning view) model (class) and implement it as a standalone app or merge it inside an existing app.

Picture this situation. A single groundstation app that displays state, map, etc. Should people be allowed to edit a mission (waypoints) DURING autonomous flight? If so, then i can merge the mission planning app with the telemetry/video app. If not, then it makes sense to keep'em separated. Of course i could merge them together and lock the waypoints during flight, but i feel that this is quite clumsy from the usability point of view.

But picture this, if people are allowed to change waypoints during flight, how would you go about synching the plane's state with the map state? How does the plane know which waypoint is next when the existing waypoints were just replaced.

I assume some of you have already considered these problems and would appreciate any feedback.

ALSO, is there a paparazzi telemetry/video spec that i can use to make sure my software can be used with it? I was considering offering modular support for several UAV implementations.

P.S. - My code is not open yet because i want to make sure it's usable. It'll be published somewhere, anytime soon.

Thanks for reading,
Filipe

---------- This message has been scanned for viruses and
believed to be clean.
ES Viagens - Consultoria e Servicos, S.A.
DSI