Re: AW: [Paparazzi-devel] Commercial boards

From: nisma
Subject: Re: AW: [Paparazzi-devel] Commercial boards
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 05:59:48 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:19:28 +0000
Von: "Yves Touchette" <address@hidden>
An: address@hidden
Betreff: Re: AW: [Paparazzi-devel] Commercial boards

> We would have to write servo code for the PIC, something that isn't
> currently in Paparazzi.
The pic will come preprogrammed and i can make the source code open source.
The reason for the pic was a pure economical in order to get a 0.5 uS
resolution.
Utilizing the avr MCU (mega48), the price was triple compared to the
pic because of the needed external osc and increased pcb space.

> Which GPS are you using?
Personally, i use a fastrack oem module (kalman filtering,
3d mode with only 3 satellites in view using external altitude information, 2
for 2d mode, update frequency up to 50 HZ without
kalman filtering), however it´s no problem to use a Ublox or it´s cheaper
second source (only 1Hz update rate, but better power saving mode).
> Are the sensor all on the same board?
With the exception of the gps , yes.
In the case of utilizing the Ubox gps, this will be added to the board
incresing the size for 2cm.

> Do you have any pictures? Can you provide an approximate cost of a board
> with the components?
Sure, i can export the BOM and write it down the actual cost.

> If you can get you boards manifactured for these price, couldn't you get
> the
> paparazzi board manifactured for similar prices?
It´s possible to review the paparazzi board and make a new layout.
As example, jtag bondary scan must be added in addition to some test
points. A new test fixture must be made for testing this board.
Even with layout changes, it´s possible to reuse the same test fixture
as i have used. The library must be exchanged and i must use the one
from the assembler for the correct solder paste and adding some pcb
marks for the placement machine. Test SW must be adapted.
The fixture have a cost of 20-30 Euro, so it´s not that cost.

As you can see, there is necessare some work and i don´t want to have
2-3 different layouts. Maybe i want have a layout with optional components,
that are populated as needed.