Re: [Paparazzi-devel] launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

From: Nicolas Calderon
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:13:13 -0700

Hi John, for Debian, you don't need to order it. If you have a high speed connection, you can just download the net-install, which is approx 100-200 mb. Then, as the name say it, depending on the packages you actually take, the installer will fetch what you need off internet and install it. The CDs are ok, but it's just sad to know that by the time it gets to your place, it is already outdated :P

As for getting a system running... I can't lie to you... Linux is not Windows. Things won't work off the box as they would on Windows... But it's not as bad as people pretend it to be. With new kernels, hardware support has improved quite a lot. As for software, apt (Debian package manager) does a very nice job for you... Managing dependencies and all those scary things.

Plus, you got paparazzi list and IRC channel for your questions. And if that's not enough, on the very same network, you got #debian channel, with all the geekest person in the world to answer all your questions.

The bottom line: fear not ;)