Re: [Paparazzi-devel] BitScope USB Oscilloscope

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] BitScope USB Oscilloscope
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:29:07 -0700

Hi Matthew,

>    Does anyone have any experience or reasons to purchase or not purchase a
> USB "BitScope" oscilloscope?  I have been following this companies line for
> a few years and the specs are getting better and better.  Here is a basic
> excerpt from one of their most basic models:

I have a slightly older, but similar model. I think that their UI
sucks. They don't even give you any simple flash, like the ability to
label/color the logic analyzer pins, and they don't have any decoders
(like i2c, spi, uart).

The scope works best on repetitive signals, and doesn't work well for
low frequency stuff. Like trying to measure the time between events on
the order of a second seemed to be difficult (although this may have
changed with the newer models).

The triggering is primitive, and you can't see any sample prior to the
trigger (which I find really annoying).

The UI does work under both Windows and Linux (I switched from Windows
to Linux - so that was a real plus).

So, my impression is that the hardware works well, and the UI is fine
if you can live with it's capabilities (I highly recommend that you
try it out using their scope that they have on the internet).

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada