Re: [Paparazzi-devel] RE: IR sensors and attitude sensing: Re: Paparaz z

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] RE: IR sensors and attitude sensing: Re: Paparaz zi-devel Digest, Vol 43, Issue 9
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 02:00:44 GMT

IR sensors respond to heat, not light.  They work fine in the dark.  They should work in smoke but not fog, but either way, the intent is usually to get video imagery anyway.

-- "David Conger" <address@hidden> wrote:

Simon Said: "
Hello,
We did alots of flights in Quebec winter, deep cold and 2-4 feets of snow over frozen ground. We never had problems with IR sensors cause by snow. The only limitation we had notice is alots of fog, when everything appear to be at the same temp. But this isn't the best conditions for the video anyway!!

Simon  (VAMUdeS)"

Thank you Simon (and Anton),

But, what if I wish to fly:
 - at night
 - in zero visibility (i.e. fog, rain, smoke)

I have tried for days to google how to determine attitude using different sensors. It seems the easy/popular is to use IR. I do now understand the principal. I even ordered FMA direct 2-axis and single axis IR sensors to use to at least get started.

However, really, wouldn't a MAV truly be very useful for flying in conditions nothing else could fly in? Dense smoke? Fog? Moonless Night? I am searching google with some luck to research.

I just keep thinking that there must be some way to tell up from down using the earths magnetic field or gravity. I'm no unhappy with IR just trying to think outside the box if there is a way without thermal limitations..even in theory.