Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Molex Connectors for Wire to Wire

From: Matthew Currie
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Molex Connectors for Wire to Wire
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:16:54 -0700

Jeremy,

  I have updated the wiki to show the various new part numbers, making sure to stress that these new part numbers are for convenience only:

http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Other_Hardware#Molex_PicoBlade.E2.84.A2_1.25mm_.28.049.22.29_Pitch_Connector_System

Regards,
Matthew

address@hidden wrote:

That's funny - I never knew there was an inline molex plug!  I use them a lot, but I always make them by soldering wires to a male header and insulating the joint with silicone, it's sloppy, time consuming, and unreliable.  We even had some idiot come into our shop one day and destroy our crimpers by trying to cut music wire with them (yes, really).  He destroyed the female pin section of the die but the male section was OK so I converted it to female by gluing a spacer into it.  Still it never occurred to me that a male plug existed!

-- Matthew Currie <address@hidden> wrote:
Group,

 I just wanted to point something out to the group that only became
obvious to me now.  When I made the investment into the crimpers and
connectors I was a bit disappointed among others that it was apparently
only a wire to board connection system.  Digikey and Mouser did not show
the wire-wire male pin connectors in the catalog so I simply assumed
they did not exist.  I noticed the male pin location on the crimping die
yesterday and it really made me wonder.  I hit up Molex's website for a
cross reference and found them.  Personally I figure this discovery
alone just doubled the value of this initially expensive crimper.  I can
now make much more interesting harnesses for the Tiny13 as well as other
projects.  So if any of you were fence sitting on buying this crimper or
not, this may make you want to seriously consider buying it.

Here is the part numbers for the housings for making up wire-wire
connections.

http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/molex/jsp/products/listview.jsp?query=51047&path=cHome%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7EncCRIMPHOUSINGS%23%230%23%239&offset=0&autoNav=1&sType=s&filter=&fs=&BV_SessionID=@@@@0110911655.1192553933@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddmfghgfdjcflgcehedffgdfmk.0&channel=Products&Lang=english

Regards,
Matthew Currie