Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi Tiny13 help

From: Uttam Chandrashekhar
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi Tiny13 help
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:52:24 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to everyone on this list! You guys are amazing!

A couple of things I learned in the process. Like Anton said, The free version of Eagle is enough for the 4 layer Tiny board. You cannot create a 4 layer PCB in the free version of Eagle, but you can definitely view all 4 layers, and create Gerbers for them. The 2 inner layers are Route2 and Route15. When you use the cam processor, there are a couple of things you need to do to modify the Gerber.cam file for it to create the Gerbers for a multilayer PCB ( more than 2 layers ). Here are the instructions I got from a google search:

  1. From the EAGLE control panel click on File/Open/Board and select the board you are interested in.
  2. Click on the CAM processor ICON.
  3. Now click File/Open/JOB and select the file called GERBER.CAM from the CAM directory. If EAGLE prompts you to save the current process. Click NO.
  4. Notice on the CAM processor screen a field called SECTION. If, the section called “Generate a wheel file” is not visible, then click on the down arrow at the
  1. On the right hand side of the CAM processor screen you will notice the layer list. Tag the additional layers you wish to include: Any inner layers or maybe the bottom silk screen layers (BPlace and BName). DO NOT UNTAG ANY OF THE OTHER LAYERS. Click on File/Save Job to save what we have done so far. I would recommend giving this CAM job a different name. For example, 4Layer.cam)
  2. After tagging all the necessary layers click on the SECTION down arrow and select the very last section called Solder Stop Mask SOL.
  3. Click on the ADD button. EAGLE will ask you to name the new section you are creating. You can give it any name you feel comfortable with, example, call it INNER POWER PLANE VCC,  INNER SIGNAL LAYER 2, or BOTTOM SILK SCREEN).  Click OK when done.
  4. Now select the appropriate layer for this section. If its an inner power plane (for example $GND) only select that layer by itself. If it’s a bottom silk screen layer tag the Dimension, BPlace and BName layers. If it’s a regular signal layer combine it with PAD’s and VIA’s MAKE SURE NO OTHER LAYERS ARE TAGED.
  5. Change the name of the output. Use the table in the bottom of this page as an example.
  6. Create a new section for every new layer needed. Repeat step 7, 8, 9 and 10 for every new layer.
  7. Go to step 4 on page number 1.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:QKuATfzOMnkJ:www.apcircuits.com/resources/downloads/Excellon.doc+Modifying+gerber.cam+eagle&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1>

-Thanks again,
Uttam