[Paparazzi-devel] Tiny 2.11 Eagle schematic-board

From: David Pérez-Piñar López
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny 2.11 Eagle schematic-board
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:29:10 +0100

Dear all,

I'm new to this list, writing from Spain, and looking for information on this wonderful paparazzi system.

First of all, I would like to congratulate the whole paparazzi team: I have been completely amazed by your design, progress and results in such a clever and 'tiny' way. Just wonderful!

I'm trying to lead a group of students in the design, build and assesment of simple UAVs. After some Internet search, I'm pretty confident your Paparazzi system is the best option. More specifically, as the students should learn some electronics with the project, I am trying them to build the hardware from scratch, i.e., from the board fabrication process to testing and tuning.

From your wiki info, I guess the best option for this is your Tiny 2.11 design, as it is a 2-layer board and quite easy to build.

However, I found that the board file which is available from your cvs repository is a bit different from the images you have published in the wiki. Is there any way to get an updated eagle board file? I don't mind if it's not a finished or tested board; that's right for the students, as it will give them the opportunity to deal with the testing process (and, perhaps, with some final tuning of the hardware). But I would like to give them something that it is coherent with the board layout images found at the wiki. Moreover, even if the students could carry out the full process of laying out the components and routing, I think it would be better for them to use an already routed board, because their project schedule is rather constrained by their ordinary term schedules.

By the way, two more questions related to the last one. I have not read the whole mailing list, but most of the projects I have found use the autopilot for rather small vehicles. Is the tiny controller compatible with large airframes?

And the last one: What about Classix? I guess it would be more difficult for them, as it is (by the wiki description) an experimental board. Specifically, is it sofware compatible with the Tiny autopilot? What I can derive from the design is that each microcontroller would need to be programmed independently, and thus something specific would be needed. However, external devices (such as the IR sensors, GPS, servo controller, etc.) are just the same. Is this right?

That's all for now. Thank you very much in advance for your help, and congratulations again for this amazing project.

Cheers,

    David

--
David Pérez-Piñar López