Re: [Paparazzi-devel] =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Ground software stru?= cture

From: martin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Ground software stru?= cture
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:31:43 +0100 (CET)

Hi David,

> Let's say I would like to add a new ground component capable of just
receiving information (messages)
> from the aircraft. I guess the solution is simple: just build a new
client process listening the ivy
> communications port and processing the messages of interest. Is this
possible? Specifically, is the
> server broadcasting the messages, or a pipe (or something like that)
is stablished between the server
>  and each ground module?

Yes, you connect to the ivy bus and receive the messages you need,
http://www.tls.cena.fr/products/ivy/

Two simple Paparazzi examples are

sw/logalizer/tmclient.c
sw/logalizer/motor_bench.c

> And where should I dig into to find the message definitions and
(perhaps) add a new message to the
> system?

Lookup/add at conf/messages.xml

> Although just studying the source code, I thought I will understand
Paparazzi when I was able to
> succesfully adapt it to my needs. However, I'm acquainted with C/C++,
but not with OCAML. I have
> tried to understand the code, but it is not easy to guess the
execution order from it. Any tutorial at hand
> to start with?

This helped me: http://www.ocaml-tutorial.org/

Martin