[Paparazzi-devel] Pre-assembled boards...

From: David Conger
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Pre-assembled boards...
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:49:44 -0800

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:18:11 -0600
From: David Carr <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

I've been seeing a lot of traffic on the list lately about Tiny 2.1 PCBs.
Is there an interest in pre-produced boards?
I've seen a section on the wiki about this but I want to gauge how much
active interest there is.

Which section? Getting Hardware? That list below has been there since I started checking the Wiki Months ago with no real activity.
I have a fair amount of experience with small electronic production runs (25-100) and would be willing to build some Tiny boards for the paparazzi project. Right now it looks like the lead time from today would be about 8
weeks and a Tiny 2.1 with GPS would come around $200-250.
You seem willing to make these for the cost of components alone. Did you add up the costs from Digikey? For me it was (For 10 units): - Parts Costs: 500.00 (less the GPS module) + GPS is another 1000.00 (approx) in USD
 - Assembly quotes for me were (for 10 2-sided Tiny2.11): 609.10
 - PCB themselves (for 10 Tiny2.11 PCB): 105.00
Total for 10 Tiny2.11 PCB + Assembly (includes shipping) = 2214.00 / 10 = 221.40 each?

I guess if you have the pick-place and your time is free that's awesome. I'm pretty sure someone will buy them. I myself am going to have 5 made for me at MyroPCB.com I'll post the results. Parts are on order from Digikey now. Will take a few days to get them to the Assembly house...then 6 days to assemble and ship. So 14 days?

If I produce the
Tiny
boards, I'd most likely run the IR 4way and 2way boards as well so that we
could
have a complete kit.
I will have those in about 7 days time on the URL given for "USA based" I realized the IR boards are important so I'm having some made for myself. I'll just have extras made and make them avail. If they are 4-layer it's more expensive to have them Fabricated.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't really see this as a commercial
venture,
more of a interested bystander looking for a way to contribute.

Well, having a commercial venture would not be a bad thing. Economies of scale will make costs for everyone go down. If everyone did small orders everyone will pay high setup costs. Someday PCB should be just a 2.00 and completed Tiny2.11 around 200.00. Then why is the "Kestrel" 5,000.00?? :)

-David Carr