Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New Antaris 4 GPS module

From: David Carr
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New Antaris 4 GPS module
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:20:08 -0600

Pascal,

These modules support the full complement of NMEA and UBX protocol messages. The maximum specified rate is 4Hz but I have managed to make mine work at 5Hz. In your last question I assume that you are referring to acquisition and tracking performance. In that case, the module in question has been tested by Atmel (makers of Antaris silicon) and found to have performance equal to their demonstrators. I think that these are important questions to ask. One other difference I should note is that the firmware in this module is stored in ROM rather than in flash and is not upgradeable. The modules come with the latest version 5 "SuperSense" u-blox firmware. Are there any specific messages you would like me to test?

Thanks for your help,
David Carr

Pascal Brisset wrote:
Hi David,

do you know what serial protocol these devices use ? Which rate, which speed ? Does "Antaris 4 based gps module" mean that the performances are the same than the LEA 4P ?

--Pascal

David Carr wrote:
Hi all,

I want to let the group know that I've found a Taiwanese source of Antaris 4 based gps modules that are significantly less expensive that those made by u-blox. They're probably not suited for individual orders because there are over $75 in transaction fees (wire transfer fees, minimums, shipping) but if I purchase 25 or so they will enable me to offer a very competitive price for pre-assembled Tiny 2.11 boards.

However, there is a catch. The new module uses a slightly different footprint than the LEA-4P (its smaller) and so the PCB needs to be modified very slightly. Unfortunately, I do not have access to Protel and therefore cannot make this modification myself. Will one of the ENAC guys step up to the plate to make this simple change and help us out? If so, I think I can offer the new GPS modules to the list for about $50 each. I can provide all the necessary documentation to make the change. The modification will consist of drawing a new footprint and re-routing a few GPS traces.

Thanks,
David Carr