[Paparazzi-devel] Maxstream 9Xtend problems

From: Uttam Chandrashekhar
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Maxstream 9Xtend problems
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 04:52:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi guys,

We are having problems with the 9Xtend OEM modules. I have it programmed to 100mw RF power. Here's the problem. There seems to be 3 different problems.

1) The 9Xtend seems to be interfering with the IR sensor readings, at 100mw power, there are jumps from 0, to -7. The problem is that the MAV is small, so I can't have the module far away from the board, it's about 2" from the rest of the setup now. The antenna is a PCB triband antenna:

    http://www.siretta.co.uk/search_box.php?mcatid=34

The antenna has been mounted at the bottom of the MAV, with the PCB traces facing out downwards, longitudinally aligned with the plane. The 9Xtend is inside the MAV, mounted flat, at the bottom. It is not affecting GPS signals, and I get a latch under a minute, with strong signals.

2) There is some interference on the 72mhz too. I use the Berg4, and I get some very rare glitch hits on the RX ( The led counts glitches on the Berg ). Outdoors, with TX antenna collapsed, I get about 30' range.

3) One of our cell phone providers operate on the 900mhz band, and they have an antenna just about 150' from my house. I get occasional "Latch up's", where control is absolutely dead. Then it starts working by itself, all of a sudden. Sometimes it just works properly. So there seems to be some external interference too?

To verify 1, I programmed the OEM modules RF power to 10mw, and the IR readings are now rock steady. The 900mhz is also working now, but prior to changing the TX power level, we took the setup outside, and when I powered up, the GCS was receiving data, but the plane controls were locked up, but it detected the change from Manual to Auto1. The GCS and RM were inside the house, and we were outside, probably about 20' away. Then all of a sudden, controls came back and it started working.

What do I do? Do I try the Radiotronix modems that operate on 868mhz? I received 4 of the modules a few days back, and the 868mhz PCB antenna is expected tomorrow.

Is there a better way to mount the Maxstream 9Xtend, to avoid the RF problem?

All wires and cables are twisted. The IR leads are a bit long (6") to facilitate easy mounting, but its a twisted cable.

-Thanks,
Uttam