Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Simulation inconsistency

From: Pascal Brisset
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Simulation inconsistency
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 12:00:44 +0200

Hi,

Haiyang Chao wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I got a pretty strange inconsistent problem for the simulation part. I changed "PITCH_NEUTRAL_DEFAULT" to the same value through two methods: 1 simulation gcs and 2 the MyAirframe.xml. The strange thing is that I got different results at least for altitude tracking.
The simulator takes into account the PITCH_NEUTRAL_DEFAULT value from the airframe file (flightModel.ml:142 and sim.ml:176 in sw/simulator) to simulate the IR sensor. So it won't make a difference in a simulation if you change this value in the airframe file: it will be added by the sensor simulation and then subtracted by the autopilot code (infrared.c:214). However, you will get something different if you change it during the simulation (with the GCS) ... To tune this value, you have to fly level in AUTO1, at the desired throttle and speed and adjust the value until you don't need to touch the pitch stick. The simulator won't help you for this ...
In the same time, you can set the NOMINAL_CRUISE_THROTTLE value
To tune the vertical loop, you will have to set THROTTLE_PGAIN, AUTO_THROTTLE_IGAIN and PITCH_OF_VZ_PGAIN to be able to climb or descent at a constant rate. To keep an altitude, you then have to tune the ALTITUDE_PGAIN value.
We usually are able to get around a -5m+5m precision to fly level.

Good luck

--Pascal

We have a tiny 13 board working for real-flight waypoint tracking recently but the altitude is not well tracked (10 or 20 meters below the desired one in 1 minute auto2 flight time). So I used the same configuration file for simulation and tried to locate the problem. But I got increasing altitude in simulation all the time. I guess the problem is from the "PITCH_NEUTRAL_DEFAULT" in IR section, which was set as '5.72 degree' in real flight. Then I decreased this value to 0.005 (in radiance) through simulation gcs. The simulation runs ok, the UAV stopped climbing at +30 m and maintained there. However, I got different results while changing PITCH_NEUTRAL_DEFAULT directly in MyAirframe.xml and recompile the code. The altitude climbing showed up again.

Do u guys have any clue why this happened, or any good document for parameter tuning? I already started to dig in the simulation code, but just takes some time to understand.

Thanks
Haiyang