[Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Wiki gone commercial?

From: David Conger
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Wiki gone commercial?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:21:36 -0700

All,

From the start I like to use the features of the Wiki like viewing what gets edited not just who. It's becoming alarming the number of commercial, i.e. insert direct link to a vendor website with a product link, virtually everywhere on that Wiki. Pretty much the same person is doing every edit of this type.

I have never seen this on any WIki before so much advertising and ad references put everywhere. I'd expect this on a CocaCola Wiki or but Paparazzi?

I write this after watching the Wiki grow over the past year, from watching the edits mature the sites content....and now as I watch the quality of those edits go down as someone who values the site as a source of information about Paparazzi I have to say something. Even the readability on a language standpoint is suffering.

I did not name any one person so I am hoping they simply read this and think about their real interest in Paparazzi because as it is often said: "Actions speak louder than words".

About Wiki. I really like how the software makes edits and changes so accessible. Here's a bit of info I can share that is quite useful. All edits can be seen easily. Who make the edit and even what they edited. It's all stored in a database so the "history" of any page can be seen.

Here's the link to the recent edits of the Wiki:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/index.php/Special:Recentchanges

Note that you can click on "(diff)" and "(hist)" links that will show you the content that was edited. So, you can see down to the letter every change to every page and what changes were made. It's very powerful and allows you full access to what people are writing not just who wrote it. This link shows that jszeto changed the outputs copied and pasted from my terminal for some reason:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Boot_Loader&diff=3808&oldid=3803
Not sure why that would be needed since it was a copy and paste from my terminal showing the output from the command. This one shows the same person inserting their product image that is only carried on their website:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Boot_Loader&diff=3823&oldid=3808
Ok, not so bad but now what cable do you use with it? The FTDI cable used by most everyone requires an adapter but none is shown now for this image...

Is there a governing body of some sort to review the Wiki and it's content? Maybe one could be created? I don't have the answer but can we please preserve the Wiki as a source for knowledge not advertising?

Regards,
David

-David