Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Wiki gone commercial?

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Wiki gone commercial?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:39:59 -0700

You've read the edits and feel they make it more clear?

Interesting. Ok. Well, so be it. I will edit it back.

-David
On Jun 25, 2008, at 12:04 PM, address@hidden wrote:

David,

The creators and active members of Paparazzi hope to bring as many members as possible to the project and welcome any hardware resellers, profit, and marketing.

The concept of a wiki is to allow/force the community to govern itself and I believe that any designated moderator may discourage people from contributing. There are a few people selling FTDI adapters and IR sensors on the wiki without noting that the FTDI can be bought from Digikey, Sparkfun, etc. and the IR sensors are always cheaper from FMA Direct, but it's really not their responsibility to research and post all options. If you see something that concerns you, simply edit it to be more generic and/or add links to the alternatives.

I have no idea who jszeto is but his contributions to the wiki seem perfectly acceptable to me. He is offering a good selection of hardware on his site at very good prices ($55 u-blox 5, $4 PCBs, and a variety of assembled avionics) and the project can benefit greatly from vendors like him so I would hate to discourage him, or any of the members who have offered to sell parts to the community.

-- David Conger <address@hidden> wrote:
All,

From the start I like to use the features of the Wiki like viewing
what gets edited not just who. It's becoming alarming the number of
commercial, i.e. insert direct link to a vendor website with a product
link, virtually everywhere on that Wiki. Pretty much the same person
is doing every edit of this type.

I have never seen this on any WIki before so much advertising and ad
references put everywhere. I'd expect this on a CocaCola Wiki or but
Paparazzi?

I write this after watching the Wiki grow over the past year, from
watching the edits mature the sites content....and now as I watch the
quality of those edits go down as someone who values the site as a
source of information about Paparazzi I have to say something. Even
the readability on a language standpoint is suffering.

I did not name any one person so I am hoping they simply read this and
think about their real interest in Paparazzi because as it is often
said: "Actions speak louder than words".

About Wiki. I really like how the software makes edits and changes so
accessible. Here's a bit of info I can share that is quite useful. All
edits can be seen easily. Who make the edit and even what they edited.
It's all stored in a database so the "history" of any page can be seen.

Here's the link to the recent edits of the Wiki:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/index.php/Special:Recentchanges

Note that you can click on "(diff)" and "(hist)" links that will show
you the content that was edited. So, you can see down to the letter
every change to every page and what changes were made. It's very
powerful and allows you full access to what people are writing not
just who wrote it.
This link shows that jszeto changed the outputs copied and pasted from
my terminal for some reason:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Boot_Loader&diff=3808&oldid=3803
Not sure why that would be needed since it was a copy and paste from
my terminal showing the output from the command.
This one shows the same person inserting their product image that is
only carried on their website:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Boot_Loader&diff=3823&oldid=3808
Ok, not so bad but now what cable do you use with it? The FTDI cable
used by most everyone requires an adapter but none is shown now for
this image...

Is there a governing body of some sort to review the Wiki and it's
content? Maybe one could be created? I don't have the answer but can
we please preserve the Wiki as a source for knowledge not advertising?

Regards,
David

-David