Re: [Paparazzi-devel] PPZ control without aileron ?

From: Famille Chateauvieux-Hellwig
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] PPZ control without aileron ?
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:24:49 +0100

>               Has anyone achieved stable PPZ control on a plane with no
> Aileron? (i.e. rudder and elevators only)

        Hi,

I use an UAV without ailerons. It's not a Paparazzi though. It doesn't have
tge IR horizon sensig. It relies on a autostable model. See
http://www.horus-uav-systems.de. I use yaw control stabilized by a standard
gyroscope from ACT Europe. In automatic flight I use only ~25% of the rudder
range. The gyroscope helps stabilize the flight by bringing the model to a
straight flight very quickly after the autopilot gives order to fly straight.
My model is derived from a beginner model with enough diedral. It works fine.

I regulate altitude using power. More power climbs, less power descend.
However this oscillates a lot. Especially when flying curves, the apparent
weight brings the model to descend and accelerate.
So the next development is a proper air speed control (Pitot tube). The
ailerons are low prio for now.

Happy new year to all UAV pilots !
Martial