Re: [Paparazzi-devel] =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Re: Paparazzi and wi?= ki

From: martin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Re: Paparazzi and wi?= ki
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:54:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi Andrew,

> > We usually use spook as an intermediate layer. It handles the pollin
> > stream and can be used as a rtsp server. We used a patched version
of
> > spook which can be found in the CVS:
>
> I tryed this, adjusted quality and fps, but problem is spook
translates
> only half of rows... odd or even, I dont know.. :( I am unassured yet,
> but will check.

We added this de-interlacing for the 24C3 demo when we streamed video as
rtsp/jpeg over some slow internet connection. Interlacing looks very bad
if the frame refresh rate is low and your aircraft moves fast :-) It
should be possible to remove this deinterlacing by looking at the
original spook sources.

> Also I am going to try another devices, because pollin is hardly
available
> here.
> Especially "usb-stick" devices are better I think, as it can be used
> for on board encoding with gumstix.

We had success with some (cheap) USB video converter stick connected to
the gcs laptop that had the same chipset as the Pollin. The gumstix
should be able to connect to such a stick if v4l is built for it...not
sure if the computing power is sufficient.

Have you considered using a "normal" digital camera for recording,
sending the analog signal down for monitoring?

Martin