Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid AMD64

From: TurboTas
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid AMD64
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:09:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul,

> ..it away and start again.  Do you know if the paparazzi software runs
> well in a virtual environment?  I have a fairly high spec laptop.
> I use VMware for virtualisation which I believe is one of the only
> vm enabling software environments that supports USB pass-through.
> Could passing USB through to the VM affect the programmability of
> the Tiny2.11 board?

I can vouch that PPRZ runs great on a virtual environment.  I have a 32 bit
ubuntu machine as a guest under the 32bit Windows VMware host and it's just
marvellous.  Assuming there are no weird issues with a 32 bit VM on a 64 bit
host, you should be fine.

There is a small 'BUT'.  I don't normally use the virtual machine for actually
flashing the PPRZ or running live comms via XBP protocol.  I only use it for
development, Simulation and Log replays.

Just for completeness, I did just try flashing my PPRZ from VMWare and it
worked just fine.  Not sure If I would try this for a live flight though and
have not tested the USB XBEE devices or the initial bootloader.

Hope this helps,

Toby.