Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Differential GPS through Paparazzi

From: Tom Kent
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Differential GPS through Paparazzi
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:43:15 -0500

The way GPS works the errors in the signals from each satellite usually
change in a continuous (and relatively slow) manner.  So I wouldn't
worry too much about a second or two of delay...it could have an impact,
but it should be negligible.

The bigger problem is that this whole system doesn't work very well with
standard GPS devices.

Each satellite that the GPS receives from has its own error, which is
basically (but not actually) independent from all the other satellites'
error.  Thus you can only say "the base station is off by ___ meters in
X, Y, and Z, so we must be off by the same amount" if you can see the
EXACT SAME SATELLITES...if even one different satellite are used by the
ground station and aircraft (which if the aircraft is up in the air
higher than the ground station is almost guaranteed) then this method
will not work.

The solution is to get a GPS receiver that will give you data on a
satellite by satellite basis and use that in the ground station and the
aircraft.  Use the ground station to determine each satellite's error
and send that to the aircraft.  The aircraft should then correct for
that error in the input data it gets from each satellite BEFORE it
calculates its position.  This method will account for most, but not all
of the error in the GPS system.

Tom Kent