[Paparazzi-devel] Questions about the Tiny 2.11

From: Michael Caughey
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Questions about the Tiny 2.11
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:34:44 -0400

Ok I bought my Tiny 2.11 and I'm putting it together.  First let me thank PPZUAV for providing the service at a grreat price. : - )

I see the diagram at

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Overview#Example_Setup

and another at

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Tiny_v2#Pinout

So connecting the following is pretty stright forward:
  • IRV
  • IRH
  • Servos
Then I have my Radio the XBee09P  (900 MHz).  It appears the cable plugs into it and into the Serial pins on the Tiny.  According to the digi web site : http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000938_a.pdf, Pin 1 is the VCC and Pin 10 is the GND.  So I think I can figure out how to connect that.

What I'm not sure about is why is there a seperate USB cable and port, and a FTDI card?

So I have a card from Sparkfun that converts USB to a Serial signal.  From what I can gather it connects to the same set of pins as the Serial XBee communication unit.  So I gather that the FTDI is used ONY for connecting the PC directly to the UAV platform.  So normally I will not use this.  Is it for prgramming only?  Can I use the XBee to update the UAV, if say I change a flight lan prior to take off?

If the above assumptions are correct then why is there a a set of pins labeled USB just above the Serial pins?