Re: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Xbee 868 uplink

From: Volker Cordes
Subject: Re: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Xbee 868 uplink
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:54:37 +0200

Roman, Gautier,

thanks for your answers.

I did not do any further testing due to lack of time, unfortunately. But I carefully read the user manual again and found the following:

Digi says the duty cycle is ETSI compliant and limited it to 10%, amortized for 1 hour. This means signals are filtered in sth like an RC-circuit and integrated to some voltage where 50% low and 50% high cycles of 3V3 add up to e.g. half the voltage resulting in 1.15 V. Or just call it bandwidth usage.
The duty cycle value itself can be accessed via the DC command which results in 0..0x64 = 0-100%.
"50" would be 50% of 10% max duty cycle, that´s 5%.
It´s similar to Aerocomm but they do not limit it and actually let the OEM care for ETSI compliance.

This is not done over a 1 hour period, instead they average 1/10 of an hour (here we are with nearly 6 mins). Digi built this into their firmware which lets the device stop transmission and purge packets (default). See above, other transceiver brands do not limit this and let the OEM take care for it.

There currently is no (documented) means to reset the duty cycle register, whatsoever. Though it seems obvious from Jeremy´s report that a normal reset clears the duty cycle value.

My urgent question: is it appropriate to continuously software reset an autopilot in flight ???
We need to find out about the secret command to reset the duty cycle register !

Furthermore, consider low RF data rate with 24kbps which actually is a throughput of 2,4kbps, according to the data sheet. I think this reflects the duty cycle limitations and could well be lifted on a higher level.

Guess you guys already found all this out...

regards
volker

-------- Original-Nachricht --------