Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a Quadrotor -- should i start by us

From: antoine drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a Quadrotor -- should i start by using a Tiny V2.1 ??
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:11:06 -0700

Hello

> At this point of the discussion here and with Anton on the IRC, i would
> appreciate if some of you could say i am taking the right start :
> As the new Booz2 hardware is not available , i was thinking to start my
> quadrotor project in that way :
>
> 1)buy from a PPZ user an used Tiny v2.1 board ...
> 2)build an "homemade" 6 DoF IMU , probably using sensors boards from
> Sparkfun
> 3)Connect that IMU to the Tiny board

I doubt you will be able to achieve good perfromances with that solution
You gyros will be wiggling on the sparkfun sensor boards, the wires
connecting them to the tiny will inject alot of noise in the fragile
analog signal and the 10 bits ADCs of the LPC will give you a big
discretization.

If you intend to assemble hardware, i would rather suggest to assemble
a booz2 IMU (http://poinix.org/images/imu_v1_1.jpg) - CAD files are
available in the paparazzi4 svn at savannah (
paparazzi4/trunk/hw/booz/)
The biggest problem beeing  soldering the BGAs gyros.

> This should allow to be able to fly my quadrotor and start to use PPZ while
> waiting the Booz2 hardware to be available and PPZ software to be available.

Software is available in the savannah svn. Navigation is even there,
the performances is just not completely satisfying. The stabilisation
and vertical guidance have satisfying performances

http://poinix.org/video/booz2_step_roll.avi
http://poinix.org/video/booz2_vert_ctl_v0.2_mass_2.mp4

Regards

Poine