RE: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] radio interference (was: downlink only)

From: gisela.noci
Subject: RE: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] radio interference (was: downlink only)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:42:14 +0200

Hi Martin.

The balancer battery wires are probably OK, they will certainly supply 3 to
4 amps with no problem. The only thing is that the connector pins on those
balancer outputs can be iffy. Make sure they are in good shape. Also, they
servo peak currents are drawn from this connection, so any drops there will
reflect back to the PWM signals, regardless of where your ground star point
is. When debugging these things I normally connect an oscilloscope to the
power lead at the input to the device giving trouble, set to AC input and a
few hundred millivolts sensitivity, and then exercise the servos, throttle,
etc. Any noise great than maybe 100millivolts is bad. The 'scope ground lead
must be connected to the star ground point. The 'noise' on the display must
not be confused with normally battery voltage drop such as when drawing
30amps from the battery (short periods....)

Volts drops across wires are of course related to the length of wire as
well, so if the power goes from balancer connector, to 'Tiny', to RCS RX,
and then to the servos, you need ensure that the wires are of adequate cross
section. In addition, when using digital servos, the problem is worse, as
the peak currents are much higher, and the standing current tends to be
higher as well, since they are very good at holding set positions quite
closely, which means a tight servo control loop, which means a very 'active'
servo.
Having said all this, One should not even attempt to fly at all, with all
these potentional pitfalls, and even I have solved some really lousy
interference problems by deliberately creating a ground loop.....SO, the
moral is , do it by the book to start, and when that fails, experiment...

Your last comment re the foil ground is correct; just use that as the star
point, and route all peripheral ground connections from that point.

My mails are always far to  long winded....
Happy Landings..

Joe