[Paparazzi-devel] crashed

From: Martin P
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] crashed
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:17:48 +0200

Hello everyone!

Last weekend I had a good AUTO1 flight with my Minimag. It reacted to pitch and
roll commands, and I was able to control the throttle. I had an attitude
command in my flightplan which was never left (as I know now).

Yesterday I tried again, without the attitude statement and without a holding
point block.

In AUTO1, it killed the throttle. Switched to manual and landed to change
battery because it was not fully charged.

Took off again. Switched to AUTO1 and it immediately stabilized the plane.
Strangely, this time it did not react to the roll command. I flew around using
the rudder. When I used the elevator stick, the autopilot controlled the
throttle. Good, so far.

Suddenly the plane dived down vertically from an altitude of roughly 40m. No
reaction, just kept going vertical and slowly spinning around the longitudinal
axis until it crashed.

There was not as much damage done as I expected. These foamies are awesome. All
RC components including Tiny and Xbee are OK. Except for the Lipo which is
badly bent out of shape and will be replaced for safety reasons.

Unfortunately I can't see much from the log as I had lost the link probably
minutes before. I was in stage "HOME" because I had left the fly-too-far circle
before and came back manually.

The switch was on manual so I probably tried to rescue. The Tiny was unplugged
which can have happened at the crash or before. One aileron was ripped off and
the horizontal IR was missing (I found it in the grass).

So far, my report. The Minimag is already repaired and I'll keep trying.

Greetz, Martin