[Paparazzi-devel] RE: Flying

From: John Koches
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] RE: Flying
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:56:24 -0400

Thanks Pascal.  It helps to know that someone has tried it before...and it works.

I was concerned that the modems might have to be set up for mesh networking or something special, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I would guess that information from the plane is passed on to whoever is listening, in this case the two gcs's.  And there wouldn't be a problem until someone at one end tried to send a flight plan change at the same time someone for the other end was also sending an instruction.  Hence, the cell phones to make sure that doesn't happen.

I also noticed that your team always uses a patch antenna.  At least that is what I see in the pictures.   I recently switched to a XBee Pro XSC with a 900 MHZ base station antenna (2.1 dBi gain, 15 inch fiberglass).  I have had good results with my testing, but  I probably haven't flow farther that 5 kilometers.  I wondered if you or anyone else has had experience with this sort of set up?

Thanks again!