Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: 5v onboard regulator

From: Nicholas Wagner
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: 5v onboard regulator
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:15:03 -0600

All -

The use of optocouplers would be a great addition to the servo board,
however due to time constraints and other constraints of our project,
rev1 of this board is to be delivered later this week.

To briefly describe our project, we are working on the design of a
fuel cell powered long endurance UAV. and Two challenges that come
from this are weight and electrical efficiency (this may be an
oversimplification).  Original specifications of the fuel cell
specified a Vin max of approximately 70VDC which made our electrical
design process a little interesting.  The latest specification dropped
this down to 40V which is much more feasible.

At this time, the board we are designing in house uses two switching
regulators, LM5088 to provide high current output at 5V and 12V for
use by our electronics and other peripherals.  These two regulator
circuits have been designed to limit EMI.  It uses a high current 5V
linear regulator and a diode drop (to 12V) for a 3C lipo battery
backup.  This board, due to the constraints of our funding source will
not be Open source/GPL.  However, I can personally design another
version of this board for the Paparazzi community, if there is enough
interest, that will be Open Source/GPL as an act of good will :).
There is one drawback.  I personally am a Mechanical Engineer, so
there are many more, better qualified, people to do this.

Once I have some time to put this together, I could make a preliminary
design in eagle for the schematic and then open a 'design space' on
the wiki for other contributors.

Nick