[Paparazzi-devel] Bug reports & minor annoyances for a newbie

From: Maik Höpfel
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Bug reports & minor annoyances for a newbie
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:58:37 +0200

Hello everyone,

I finally reached the point where my plane's communicating over
wireless, and everything seems to work. Now it's time for sensors and
gains tuning! :) You have been wonderful and very helpful, but I
thought I'd just share little issues I had as a newbie getting into
the project. I know quite a few of those can be fixed by myself, and
will eventually (I promise), but I just want to get this sent out
before I proceed further. And of course it's always possible that I
just missed something. In no particular order:

- Creating a new A/C allows for a name with whitespace characters, but
building it fails. Should be enforced by the GCS.
- I have not found an explanation in the wiki about what AUTO1/AUTO2
actually do. I know by now, but it still should be in the wiki.
- Python-lxml and python-wxgtk2.8 are not among the dependencies if
you build from SVN, but they are required by the Python messages tool.
- There's no public IRC logs, even though it's a very important form
of communication for the project. I could set them up, if that's
wanted. I think it would be very helpful.
- Quite a few Important links are not in the wiki, and RCgroups seems
to be the main forum, but is not linked either. I'm thinking of
Mecevans build thread, Henrix/chris Easyglider airframe file, the
Paparazzi thread, the documentation for the Encoder board...
- The default for the GCS is the MJ5 aircraft, which I think is for a
Tiny1.3. Should probably be changed, as most newbies are going to go
with a Tiny2.11 or TWOG.

So please, don't take this the wrong way, it's just meant as possible
points for improvement from a beginners point of view. I think I will
contribute a "Getting started with Paparazzi" page to the wiki
eventually, and try to add some of my points from above as well.

I'm thrilled to go on with my project and really love this community!

Greetings from Berlin, enjoy your week,

Maik