Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Protocol for the downlink

From: Michele Santucci
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Protocol for the downlink
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:00:21 +0200

Re all,

IMHO the idea of Cédric happens to be much more effective than one built on-top of ground-station
resources this because the delay taken from the telemetry messages and of course the always
possible (and not so infrequent) data loss will prevent data to be updated and 'synchronized'
with actual attitude of the aircraft reported by the video feed.
Another big issue to be taken into account, when using ground-station OSD, is also that wireless
video link, like those commonly used today, often loose their vertical synch during UAV flight.
This event is quite normal and not really  disturbing if you are looking at the video itself but
since OSD circuits need to be synchronized  trough this signal it often happens that OSD
clean up and/or freeze producing a big mess on the resulting picture.
Anyway if we are talking of a simple OSD (like text one or a simple graphical one) the actual
weight and power consumption to be taken care of it's quite limited.
For my personal point of view airborne OSD are a better approach and are definitely
the only solution if UAV may flight out of sight controlled by a human operator.

Best regards,
    Mike

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:55 PM

This won't help much, but...

Why are you doing the OSD in the aircraft and not on the ground?

To me, it makes more sens to have less hardware (because of the weight, battery, etc) on board the airframe.

If you want to do it from the ground, you could write an agent that connects to the ivy bus to collect the required info and overlay it on the received video feed.

-yvest